VW Touareg, Phaeton, R32 and other VolksWagen's

Is a GTI a good track car ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 AM
fastdreams has a spectacular aura aboutfastdreams has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AE1867
Stay away from Evo's and STI's. VW GTI's have been tracked since they erupted on the scene 30 years ago. Porsches and M3's are great track cars but high cost of maint. & parts make taking them to track unfun.
Why stay away from the evo/sti? They both have a great history behind them.

2-5k into either will make a great track weapon. 2-5k in a GTI won't even be close.

The cars you list are awesome, but the build costs (and subsequent maintenance costs) exceed the costs of running a sports car to begin with.

Just trying to understand where you are coming from with the stay away mentality.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 AM
BLAKPIXI is infamous around these parts
I'm curious to know this as well, I've been contemplating my next purchase, something to track occasionally as well as daily drive. My vette is setup for drag racing. I'm looking towards either a R32, C55, or STI for the proven 4wd system.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 PM
AE1867 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fastdreams
Why stay away from the evo/sti? They both have a great history behind them.

2-5k into either will make a great track weapon. 2-5k in a GTI won't even be close.

The cars you list are awesome, but the build costs (and subsequent maintenance costs) exceed the costs of running a sports car to begin with.

Just trying to understand where you are coming from with the stay away mentality.

Which STI & Evo models are you considering? New or old?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
RaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the rough
My 20th Anniversary GTI is plenty fast for the streets (APR 93, FMIC, Intake, Diverter Valve), I havnt had a track day with it in the two years ive owned it though. Its a lot of fun, but if you have your mind set on a VW, look at the MK4 R32 which was 2004....4 wheel drive on that so that eliminates your FWD hate. If not STI is a freaking monster...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
huhu is infamous around these parts
It's a great performing car for the price!!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM
jibberjive is infamous around these parts
There's a guy locally who tracks his 337 and he won the local lap battle FWD class IIRC.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
mclaren55 is infamous around these parts
I have a 94' VW Golf VR6 which is a touring one car. They are an enjoyable race car, quick on the straights, and great in the turns with a LSD and a stiff suspension. They are a little heavy, but for 5 grand you can't beat the fun factor.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
xoutofstepx is infamous around these parts
Do you want a MK1 GTI ??? Now that would be a fun track car.

Let me know if you're interested. My gf's brother has one that he's looking to get rid of.

It has some spare parts including a G60 block and a turbo kit.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by xoutofstepx

Let me know if you're interested. My gf's brother has one that he's looking to get rid of.

Do you have a link to a for sale ad or build/project thread for the car?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
xoutofstepx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fastdreams
Do you have a link to a for sale ad or build/project thread for the car?
No for sale ad yet, but I can send you some photos. Look for them in a pm.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
JC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really nice
Followed a stock one on the track yesterday and the guy didn't look like he was having too much fun. I've seen heavily modded track versions out there, but never driven one.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by JC919
Followed a stock one on the track yesterday and the guy didn't look like he was having too much fun. I've seen heavily modded track versions out there, but never driven one.

Off topic...

Where do you track? I live in Austin and track occasionally. Last event I participated was at HHR. That was a fun tight track. The blind downhill is fun. Off camber turns are very challenging to me and my FWD car. Visited MSR 1.7 (DFW) years ago and enjoyed that. Fave so far is TWS clockwise, though I don't track a high horsepower car for the long straights - the high speed turns are very satisfying.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xoutofstepx

Mk1 is a fun track car! I had one for scca itb and nasa. Cheap and lots o fun. I'll try to find a few track shots.

I even tracked my wifes Mk1 cabby with a stage 3 Callaway Turbo. Total sleeper.

Last edited by L8Apex; 03-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
crgray is infamous around these parts
I run my MKV at the track and it does just fine, I barely lost to a R32 with suspension, and all i had was an intake, but yeah amazing car... sometimes i feel like it will out handle my RX-7

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
Agreed, the GTI is amazing! I have a 2009 GTI DSG w/ 18" Huff's on stock All Season tires. I took it out to the track because it was so fun driving around town and it surpassed all my expectations and then some.

I was worried the ESP would kill my fun as its not entirely defeatable on the 2009's, but it acted like a competition mode on the Corvette's, Porsche's, or Ferrari's... you could not oversteer to the level seen in the Fifth Gear video clip, but it allowed as much rotation as was needed in a FWD to make a good lap time, yet kept the car perfectly stable when i slid off the track.

Anyways, the tires did suck and forced me to let off the throttle quite a bit, but the car is amazing! I can trail-brake and the tail will rotate, lift throttle will also bring the tail around, its so perfectly set-up. It does pitch and roll more than I'm used to, but if you just accept it and trust in the car, it will do as you wish. Its just amazing...

I had a WRX that I modded quite a bit for a track car, but it took a lot of work for me to be happy with. The GTI is stock with all season tires and I absolutely love it! I will get better tires though and I'll do all I can to ensure the fine balance from the factory is in tact.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a GTI a good track car ?