Looking for a daily drive, looking at the following:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
gnot168 is infamous around these partsgnot168 is infamous around these parts
Looking for a daily drive and have the following on the list:

VW CC or GTI
Acura TSX or TSX wagon

I've been driving German and have never driven an Acura. Any other suggestion would be appreciated, would like to get close 30 MPG Hwy.

Last edited by gnot168; 07-22-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM
dnewc2s is infamous around these parts
I bought a GTI several months ago as a daily driver and have owned an Acura TL and MDX in the past.

The GTI is a perfect all around car. Great mileage, tons of usable space for a small car and a lot of fun to drive. Not to mention the fit/finish of the interior. But, there is a negative perception with the gti you won't find with the others - if I were to do it over again, I would have bought a more 'mature' car.

The acuras I've had were extremely reliable and practical. But, I have a hard time buying cars on that alone. There is almost no emotional reason to buy an Acura, if that makes sense -- there's just nothing that gets your blood pumping. And when I drive somewhere, it's more than getting from point A to point B.

I'd say GTI hands down for a fun commuter (image issues aside), and Acura for cost of ownership/practicality.

It would help to know a little more about what you would use the car for (business, etc) and what you're looking to get out of the driving experience.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
get the CC. hands down a better car than the TSX.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with dnewC2S's post. I also love the exterior styling of the CC.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
xoutofstepx is infamous around these parts
CC w/3.6 4-motion

Not going to get 30 mpg, but it's a great motor with decent power.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
It would mostly be used for daily commute not for business or clients. I agree with the image of the GTI it is first on my list. They are practical and more "fun" to drive. Still on the wall about the CC, love the design but I guess it deserves a test drive. Just not sure if it would be as practical and "fun" to drive.

With the Acura, they are ultra reliable and should provide years of use.

Agreed the CC would be a more mature choice =)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
If you get the CC get it with the 2.0T and save the money. Once you chip the CC with the 2.0T and a few more bucks for an intake and downpipe you have the same power as the 3.6 but with 30 MPG. The downpipe wont add sound to the exhaust and the intake wont add much sound to the engine but while driving they give you more power and MPG

I have a 2010 GTI and the wife has a 2009 Jetta GLI and we get complements left and right when we go into town or out to dinner so dont worry about any negative responses. VW is one of the worlds leading auto manufacturers

Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank for all the responses so far everyone. I owned a GTI MKIV and really enjoy driving it. The GTI was first on my list because of the driving dynamics. Although, the CC in the WaterFest post looks hot. Anyone with a CC, does it drive more like a mid-size sedan???

Thanks.

Last edited by gnot168; 07-27-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM
What would your "mature" choice be? Anyone else here driven the new TSX?

Originally Posted by dnewc2s
I bought a GTI several months ago as a daily driver and have owned an Acura TL and MDX in the past.

The GTI is a perfect all around car. Great mileage, tons of usable space for a small car and a lot of fun to drive. Not to mention the fit/finish of the interior. But, there is a negative perception with the gti you won't find with the others - if I were to do it over again, I would have bought a more 'mature' car.

The acuras I've had were extremely reliable and practical. But, I have a hard time buying cars on that alone. There is almost no emotional reason to buy an Acura, if that makes sense -- there's just nothing that gets your blood pumping. And when I drive somewhere, it's more than getting from point A to point B.

I'd say GTI hands down for a fun commuter (image issues aside), and Acura for cost of ownership/practicality.

It would help to know a little more about what you would use the car for (business, etc) and what you're looking to get out of the driving experience.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
dnewc2s is infamous around these parts
I liked the CC a lot. I passed on it though because it only seated two in the back. Here's what I drove when I was looking for my daily driver. My criteria was:
- good on gas
- $20k-$30k
- fun to drive
- seat 5
- something my daughter would like to take over in a couple of years when she turns 16 that I would also feel ok driving (tough, tough criteria)
- safe

Cars: (very subjective, obviously)
- CC: Would have been top of my list, but only seated 4, needed 5
- Passat: very practical, safe, etc. Wasn't as sporty as I'd like.
- Mini: liked the exterior, but a bit too small. Hated the interior. Felt much cheaper than the GTI
- Tiguan: didn't like the small SUV thing
- Volvo c30: great interior, but kind of a feminine car (in my opinion)
- Audi A3: liked it, but the GTI looks sportier, is just as quick, has a much better interior, and cost about $8k less. No brainer.
- Audi A4 (used): high on my list too. Ultimately, felt like the VWs weren't really a drop off in quality/feel and preferred a new car.
- BMW 3 (used): not crazy about anything after the e46 era, interior or exterior. But good value for money.
- GTI: best of the bunch for all MY criteria.

No disrespect intended with the 'mature' comment, fellow GTI'ers.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
rlbaker05 is just really nicerlbaker05 is just really nicerlbaker05 is just really nicerlbaker05 is just really nicerlbaker05 is just really nice
My sister just picked up a CC R-line with the manual trans. Great car all around if you ask me(or her for that matter). Fun to drive, very mature, classy look, and great on gas. Gets consistently 26-27 in the city beating on it(she doesn't play nicely with others). On the highway, 30 is but a cruise control setting away, typically at 80mph. With a chip it easily gets more and makes it more fun to drive. All in all, it's a young professionals car that allows the professional to remain young at heart.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Been searching around a bit on the 2010 GTIs, slim picking with the options I was looking for. Missed the 0%/60 at the end of July but there are some great deals out there, $500-1000 under invoice. Still searching but it seems most are out in the west coast. It would be a road trip to drive it back to the midwest.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:02 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
I just picked up a CC and it drives great. it is very smooth and quite on the highway. it takes off the line faster than my B7 A4. looks awesome. I love this car.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
CC is a very nice car, i would go with that, looks way better and doesnt put you into the 16-25 year old crowd like a gti.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Well almost pulled the trigger on a GTI and now you guys got me thinking about an CC R-line. =(

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for a daily drive, looking at the following: