VW Touareg, Phaeton, R32 and other VolksWagen's

New golf R.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
New golf R.....

Needed a new daily driver and after looking at/driving the wrx sti,evo x and the R, went with the golf R, very fun car and good build quality. Nice to drive with plenty of room. Good mpg with nice power and crazy amount of mods available. You can get 325+ hp with easy bolt ons and the 4wd is good in montana...anyway I like it, room,economy,sporty, great handling...

Last edited by DERBOOST; 02-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Very sharp...all the best.

Just picked up the gti and I am floored by how much fun this car is to drive.

The R must be in another league.

Last edited by buck986; 02-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Umm actually they really are pretty similar, r has more power but added weight of the 4wd, gti with dsg, its a pretty close drag race. The cross dif in the gti works very well also. R will exit corners much faster as you can pick up the throttle really quick, and under steer is pretty much a non issue.
Both great cars tho !! btw simple chip in the gti adds 50 hp.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DERBOOST
Umm actually they really are pretty similar, r has more power but added weight of the 4wd, gti with dsg, its a pretty close drag race. The cross dif in the gti works very well also. R will exit corners much faster as you can pick up the throttle really quick, and under steer is pretty much a non issue.
thanks for the info..I test drove wrx (not the sti), mazda 3speed and gti...all were nice but gti was the complete package. Other two had better straightline performance but the gti felt more toss-able.

your right about the cross dif...really adds to the balance in driving the car.

Great cars for the $$$$.

All the best.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
PoloTurbo is infamous around these parts
Cool and good looking car.

Very interested in your cross shopping choice and why you chose the Golf instead of the other 2?

More refined? Looks?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
just felt a lot more solid and better for driving everyday...evo x was better for all out performance,but not as comfortable for me. Did not care as much for the sti's looks or interior quality. Hatchback was a big issue as well as I play a lot of golf and clubs fit in there really easy (also the dogs..lol)
All are good cars, just basicly went with the one I liked best.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
just felt a lot more solid and better for driving everyday...evo x was better for all out performance,but not as comfortable for me. Did not care as much for the sti's looks or interior quality. Hatchback was a big issue as well as I play a lot of golf and clubs fit in there really easy (also the dogs..lol)
All are good cars, just basicly went with the one I liked best.
Derboost has summed it up pretty much as I would.

The GTI/R are more balanced overall for daily driver use and have IMHO better interiors and are more solidly built.

I have had my GTI 6 speed three days and I am amazed still of how much car you get for the money.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
PoloTurbo is infamous around these parts
Looks like a perfectly balance and awesome interior with good tuning capabilities with a tune.

Great buy. Congrats and enjoy

Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Nice car/color combo. Congrads.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Congrats. I can't imagine a Golf R is a popular car in a land where Mickey Thompsons and lift kits are the the "must have" F-150 land. Something tells me you may be the only one in state with one and thus have yourself a very rare bird.

FWIW, and in my opinion, I still cannot get my head around VW's new corporate front end and grill treatment. Frankly I feel it's a step backwards from the last 2 generations.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Former Vendor
Chris@AfterFX is just really niceChris@AfterFX is just really niceChris@AfterFX is just really niceChris@AfterFX is just really nice
OP: Great choice on the Golf R, we have a few customers who have them and they love them.

They are similar but they do have some differences, the motors are not the same. Despite the Golf R saying "TSI" on the engine cover it is an FSI motor, with different internals and a K04 turbo. With basic modifications (ECU, Turbo Back Exhaust, Fuel Pump Upgrade) you can get some serious power while still being very reliable. If you have any questions modifying this feel free to PM/email me.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
all-in-1 great car! enjoy!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
the new R looks great! it's basically an A3 in VW skin.

Last edited by theblue; 02-28-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Had a beaitiful sunny day yesterday and got to go pound on my favorite canyon road a bit on the lower section (snow up high) well i'll tell ya this thing sticks like glue ! Just a super fun car to drive ! pretty much dead nutral handleing,even sliding in the wet. And nice in the marginal conditions as power well balanced vs chassis. Reminds me of my 1988 E30 M3 in that respect..just flat out fun to drive fast without biting you...I would never even have tried to drive my GT2 that quick up the canyon it the wet like the R...

Oh also A fyi i'm 6'6" and 275...zero issues fitting in it, amazing room for driver. I actually move the seat up a tad and 1 knotch from the lowest position, no issues with sunroof and helmet..good job vw on the adjustment!

Last edited by DERBOOST; 02-29-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Jesse_Boyer is infamous around these parts
You reference 'good mpg's' in your first post. Can you update on what you've experienced thus far for economy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New golf R.....