Sponsored by:

peeling Champion RG5 wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:08 AM
K04
K04 is infamous around these parts
peeling Champion RG5 wheels

So yet another thing I put in the Boxster section but should be here. (mods if you want to delete it out of the Boxster section be my guest)

but here is the problem

So I have had a set of 19" Champion RG5s on the Boxster for a touch over a year. Car isn't driven on salty roads, I never use acid on the wheels, never seen a car wash. But the wheels are peeling, I have brought this issue up with the dealer as it got worse last time it was in, they are going to see what they can do, as I think they used wheel acid on the wheels. I am not trying to point fingers but they started to peel shortly after a visit for some service before this recent one.

My question is does anyone else have this problem with their champions or heard of similar issues with these wheels?

I appreciate your input.

here is a link to photos of the wheels. http://picasaweb.google.com/krcd626/PeelingChampionRG5s

Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
did service wash your car if so they probably washed it with wheel cleaner with acid and it ate at your clear.

Get the dealer to pay for new wheels or clear coating them again.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Some disturbing pictures you posted. I was going to order a set for track use next season but now I'm having second thought. Please keep us posted with the outcome.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
K04
K04 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Some disturbing pictures you posted. I was going to order a set for track use next season but now I'm having second thought. Please keep us posted with the outcome.

Well good news, the dealer spoke with Champion, Champion is going to repair the wheels. But the dealer wants me to pay for dismount and shipping. So my next battle is to get them to foot that bill as they are making out on this one.

but as far as Champions for the track. They are a lighter wheel but I would look as some other options that may not look as good but are lighter. but do not take this issue I am having deter you, as long as you wash them yourself and you soap and water you will be fine. But do not let morons with wheel acid near them.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:39 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
wow I didnt know wheel acid could do that. Good to know