Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-Piece Wheel Refinishing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 AM
IndyJoe is infamous around these parts
3-Piece Wheel Refinishing?

Does anyone have a recommended wheel refinisher for 3-piece wheels?

I purchased a set of Maya DTM rims from Wheels Boutique a few years ago with a chrome lip and satin centers. The clear coat on the lip looks stained and oxidized. I contacted one company and they wanted close to $400 per wheel to refinish, which I thought was rather expensive.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 PM
hdm
Banned
hdm is infamous around these partshdm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IndyJoe
Does anyone have a recommended wheel refinisher for 3-piece wheels?

I purchased a set of Maya DTM rims from Wheels Boutique a few years ago with a chrome lip and satin centers. The clear coat on the lip looks stained and oxidized. I contacted one company and they wanted close to $400 per wheel to refinish, which I thought was rather expensive.

We help you with that. Are you sure is a chrome lip? because if the lips clear coat is stained its most likely an anodixed polished cleared lip. But if you mean the face clear coat is staigned then how is the chrome doing on the lips.

Let me know I can really help you out with this. And I dont think $400 per wheel is reasonable for what you are talking about.

Thanks
C @HDM

Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by hdm
We help you with that. Are you sure is a chrome lip? because if the lips clear coat is stained its most likely an anodixed polished cleared lip. But if you mean the face clear coat is staigned then how is the chrome doing on the lips.

Let me know I can really help you out with this. And I dont think $400 per wheel is reasonable for what you are talking about.

Thanks
C @HDM
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, but I'm 99% certain the lip is chrome with a polished center. You can see in the pics where it's starting to oxidize/corrode/stain/whatever around the center caps as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
I dont really see what HDM is saying exactly either. Mayas are almost always a chrome lip, and that doesnt look like corrosion that would happen on chrome on a newer wheel. Its possible the lip is polished and clearcoated, and in that case the outer could just be stripped and repolished/cleared. $400 sounds about right for this, otherwise its about $650 for a brand new lip from Dazz Motorsports.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 AM
hdm
Banned
hdm is infamous around these partshdm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
I dont really see what HDM is saying exactly either. Mayas are almost always a chrome lip, and that doesnt look like corrosion that would happen on chrome on a newer wheel. Its possible the lip is polished and clearcoated, and in that case the outer could just be stripped and repolished/cleared. $400 sounds about right for this, otherwise its about $650 for a brand new lip from Dazz Motorsports.
I stick to my guns, like I said before if it has any stains on the lip then that is an anodixed polished lip. We can remove the center and repolished the lip. It will look a lot different and nicer ones we do the polish because it will be regular polish not anodixed polish. We can also clear the lips after the polish, although a lot of customer request that to eliminate having to polish the lips every so often I dont like it because it takes away from the true natural shine of the aluminum. The only thing we can not replicate is the machine center and I would not remachine it because it take away from the original lines of the wheels. But you can get a little creative with the wheels now that you need to refurbish them. you can color match the centers or brush or two tone. The possibilities are endless.
Let me know if I can be of any help to you .

and I will make sure with us you dont spend $400.00 per wheel.

Thanks
C @HDM

Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by hdm
I stick to my guns, like I said before if it has any stains on the lip then that is an anodixed polished lip. We can remove the center and repolished the lip. It will look a lot different and nicer ones we do the polish because it will be regular polish not anodixed polish. We can also clear the lips after the polish, although a lot of customer request that to eliminate having to polish the lips every so often I dont like it because it takes away from the true natural shine of the aluminum. The only thing we can not replicate is the machine center and I would not remachine it because it take away from the original lines of the wheels. But you can get a little creative with the wheels now that you need to refurbish them. you can color match the centers or brush or two tone. The possibilities are endless.
Let me know if I can be of any help to you .

and I will make sure with us you dont spend $400.00 per wheel.

Thanks
C @HDM
I'm not too worried about the centers, but the lips are chrome. They may not be cleared, but are certainly chrome (or at least that's according to Maya's literature).