Sponsored by:

Alternative to the HRE P40's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:53 PM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts

Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
msv
msv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to behold
VMR wheels are cast and made in Taiwan (I'm not saying that as necessarily a bad thing). I have a set on my S4.

They are inexpensive and the quality, strength, weight, and finish do not compare to something like HRE.

It depends on where your priorities are.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
HRE is great! (And no, I don't work for them)
I used to work for them.
You my friend should have gone in politics

Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Roller
You my friend should have gone in politics
Because I used to work there, I have great respect for HRE. They have a good team and considerable passion and commitment to build great wheels.
I now work for a competing company, but that doesn't change my respect for HRE.
From my seat, there is nothing political about my comments. I have no one to please at HRE. I actually compete with them in a very tough market.
I simply wanted a fellow forum member to understand the differences between forged HRE wheels made here and cast wheels made in Asia. This is, after all, a forum for the dissemination of knowledge.

And remember, I never said "HRE is great", you did.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM
01blacks4 is infamous around these parts
weak
HRE's are forged, lightweight, well-engineered and made in the USA in a real factory by real craftsmen who earn a living wage. They are then extensively tested in outside labs to insure quality and your safety. (And no, I don't work for them).
Any wheels that cost $995 a set are cast, much heavier, and are probably made in China, a country where the workers earn less than $5 per day and the government underwrites the cost of the aluminum and the energy to melt it.
It is quite possible that the guys who build these wheels have never seen a Porsche.
No offense to VMR but unless they built a foundry or a forging plant, they are just another copy-cat cast wheel importer, not a manufacturer.
weak

Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
RedlineMotorworks is infamous around these partsRedlineMotorworks is infamous around these parts
If I can get enough interest, I can speak with VMR on Monday about setting up a group buy for the V710s.

We carry their entire line and it is extremely popular in the BMW, Audi & VW worlds.

For the price, you cannot go wrong.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM
microboby is infamous around these parts
Andrew , I would get a set in a heartbeat if you can get this GB going.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
I am also in for a GB

Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 PM
boostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of light
Do it. I'm sure a lot of us would buy them.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
RedlineMotorworks is infamous around these partsRedlineMotorworks is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I will be calling up VMR tomorrow to discuss possible options, pricing & finishes.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
speedyjp is infamous around these parts
may be interested but would like to see them first on all of y'alls. i contacted VMR earlier this year about making these or similar to the CSLs. good to hear they may be responding.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, it would require A LOT of interest to get this going...we would be talking at least a couple hundred wheels. This is mainly because they are only setup to build wheels that are 8-9.5" wide. Anything wider than that would require new machinery which is very expensive.

They did say they might consider it later down the road so I will keep everyone posted if this idea does come up again.

If anyone is interested in a forged wheel option similar to the P40 or the P40s themselves, I would still be happy to help you.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 PM
microboby is infamous around these parts
Andrew what could be other alternatives out there for the P40's?

Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by microboby
Andrew what could be other alternatives out there for the P40's?
PM sent.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
I am personally aware of HRE's commitment to testing because I have seen some of the data. I used to work for them. In fairness, I do not know if they test every wheel.
Microboby wanted to understand the differences. I simply drew some contrasts for him based upon my own knowledge and experience. You can probably tell that I am easily irritated by those who copy the work of others, pass it off as their own, and then manufacture it offshore using the sweat of other humans living in slave-like conditions. They then bring it here and undercut American industry.
I have long been an advocate for complete transparency when it comes to test data. I believe that all consumers have a right to know the level of testing done on their wheels. This is a safety issue, plain and simple.
If HRE has a finish issue with their wheels, they are not alone. Wheels live in a hostile world and sourcing beautiful finishes that also endure is very challenging. What sets HRE and other first-line companies apart is their accountability and readiness to rectify problems.
Just my opinion......
You make some great points. I've owned 3 sets of HRE. All three sets I had issues. I now have Champion wheels Made in Japan, there stronger and lighter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alternative to the HRE P40's