Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best forged wheel brands

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
Best forged wheel brands

Just trying to find out what you guys think are the better wheel brands for forged wheel. I know HRE is one of the best. How about iforged or dpe or etc.?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vroom
Just trying to find out what you guys think are the better wheel brands for forged wheel. I know HRE is one of the best. How about iforged or dpe or etc.?
I am sure that they are all great companies but:
I can only speak about DPE and I am extremely happy !
Couldn't imagine a better wheel for my car.
Great guys to deal with as well.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
best wheel brands are (in no particular order)

360 forged
DPE
I-Forged
HRE
D2 Forged

BBS is THE BEST wheel period, but its in a different category than the above mentioned brands... theyre more for track than street... ie , they dont look as good as the custom 3 piece wheels and what not, same as fikse

in terms of design, the most "outside the box" designs are from 360 forged and D2 forged

in terms of strength... BBS forged wheels are the strongest, but they also dont made deep lips, instead do a step lip, which is stronger than a rolled lip, but doesnt look at good

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM
hoeferland is infamous around these parts
I would also mention (and vote for) Champion Motorsports forged wheels, which are some of the lightest and best looking in my own opinion.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
OZ and BBS

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Glutamine is infamous around these partsGlutamine is infamous around these parts
lol @ HRE being the best...seriously?

the best forged wheel out there is BBS or OZ wheels...

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
No offense to HRE but best or even in the same league as BBS or Champion?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
bbs IS in a category of its own
i thought the OP was talking about bling wheels

Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 AM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
wow! I always see HREs on luxury and expensive cars compare to other brand. Its prices are more expensive too. Maybe that is why I think they are better. You pay for what you get. But I noticed that HRE, DPE and iforged all have similar designs.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
[quote=HRE_Alan;2202306]I guess we need to keep working harder to win over those that don't understand us and/or don't like us. Here's my opinion on the matter and obviously I can't be 100% objective but I will try to be as objective as possible.

BBS: They're the grand daddy and the wheel we all grew up loving. As a kid we all wanted to have BBS LMs! They have fantastic capability and are a HUGE company compared to the rest of us. The LM is a great wheel (who doesn't love it?) but they've concentrated on OEM cast product for years as I imagine they viewed the aftermarket forged market to be too small and too costly. I do think their racing wheels are pure sex but I can't buy the RS Spyder wheel for the street. BBS went through a bankruptcy/acquisition recently so I think they're probably struggling trying to figure out what to do with themselves a little bit, but anyone that has been to HRE has probably heard me mention BBS and only in a good light. They care first and foremost about quality. Too few competitors like that out there and you can't count them out.

Champion: They're made in Japan by a very reputable supplier. I really like Champion wheels. They're light and the designs are nice. We're more conservative in terms of strength and it is reflected in the differences in weight between HREs and Champions, but I do think the wheels are properly engineered for their load rating and I won't say bad things about them. It is a bit interesting to see though how Champion is compared to HRE when I know what their wheel capability is relative to ours. I guess this is where going racing really helps your reputation and where HRE has suffered. In the end, HRE is a wheel company. That's all we do. Champion happens to sell wheels as part of their portfolio and they do a good job of it. It's just a different mindset. In the end though, I'd rather lose out on price to a decent product like a Champion wheel than lose out to some overpriced junk with clever marketing.

Fikse: Nobody mentioned them but I've always felt they've tried to make a great quality 3pc forged product. They've struggled with things over the years as we all have but I think their motivation is in the right place and at the end of the day, they're really trying to make the best wheel possible with limited resources. They're pretty small and things are tough for the small guys right now. I imagine the other small guys like CCW and Forgeline are hurting as they all compete for the same small slice of business. Kinesis used to be in this market (the old Kinesis) and even HRE years ago and probably even more so today but we're just not known for it.

Rays (Volk): As I mentioned, the Japanese do it the right way. Not really for the 6Speed market but they make great wheels. I view Rays as the BBS of Japan and we like and respect the guys at Rays very much. When I see their wheels, I can immediately tell that they know what they're doing. The wheels are just well engineered and you can just see it in the details. I can appreciate that. They make the GTR wheels which are very nice for OE wheels.

Not much to say about the rest as I don't have much good to say so I won't say anything other than I expect the rest of the players that survive 2009 to get better as the years go on and as they come to realize you can't fake it if you want to be in this business for the long haul. I can't expect these guys to make it easy for us as we go forward.

Great post!!! I ordered a set of 840R's just a week ago and what you said above has gave me even more confidence in your products.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HRE_Alan
...........The bar gets higher every day and you can't recognize HRE today from even just a year ago. If you sat in my seat for the last year you'd be amazed at the difference and looking back at our growth and improvement in the 10 years I've been with HRE it is truly mind-blowing.
I 100% agree with this statement. HRE's latest lines (especially the P40 - droooool) have come a long way and are not like HRE's of the past.

Being in the industry myself, I can definitely agree with the absolute necessity to define the brand. BBS, OZ, and Volk have done that with not only their racing heritage, but for their relationships as OE providers for the top shelf cars. When you actually make the forgings, I think it's easier to define your brand. Plus, makers like OZ and BBS have been around longer. The first ones into the market, and the ones good enought to remain there through the years, seem to plant the seed others spend their entire "lifetimes" if you will, trying to follow. Others that mill forgings made by others have a harder time - but that doesn't mean the quality isn't there. The quality brings people in, the customer service keeps them and brings them back. With that focus and continuing to put out the level of quality they have lately, HRE **WILL** eventually earn itself a spot on that top shelf with the others top players.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
As one of the new brands in the market, AMT Forged Alloys lacks the reputation of many of the other brands mentioned. We have lots of work to do to earn your respect and confidence. But we are working very hard to build premium quality wheels with the features and finishes that you want.
In truth, there is really very little difference among 3-piece brands. Most source their spun (not forged) rim parts from a couple of suppliers, and buy their center forgings from a couple of other suppliers. The finished products have similar weight, concentricity and comparable relative strength. Nearly all, except step-lipped rims, suffer from vibration caused by water retention.
The main differences are in testing, finishes and marketing. In this area, there are huge differences among brands. From my seat, HRE has a deep commitment to quality and safety that few can match.
Forged monoblock wheels exist in a much smaller universe of suppliers. HRE and Champion lead the market with nice designs and excellent quality.
Since AMT makes its own forgings, our strategy is to use the strongest alloys and good engineering to build wheels that are weight-optimized for each specific vehicle. We hope you like our approach.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
As one of the new brands in the market, AMT Forged Alloys lacks the reputation of many of the other brands mentioned. We have lots of work to do to earn your respect and confidence. But we are working very hard to build premium quality wheels with the features and finishes that you want.
In truth, there is really very little difference among 3-piece brands. Most source their spun (not forged) rim parts from a couple of suppliers, and buy their center forgings from a couple of other suppliers. The finished products have similar weight, concentricity and comparable relative strength. Nearly all, except step-lipped rims, suffer from vibration caused by water retention.
The main differences are in testing, finishes and marketing. In this area, there are huge differences among brands. From my seat, HRE has a deep commitment to quality and safety that few can match.
Forged monoblock wheels exist in a much smaller universe of suppliers. HRE and Champion lead the market with nice designs and excellent quality.
Since AMT makes its own forgings, our strategy is to use the strongest alloys and good engineering to build wheels that are weight-optimized for each specific vehicle. We hope you like our approach.
right on.
i have had just about every wheel manufacturer under the sun.
pls elaborate which HRE model is forged monoblocks. i would like to try those. 3 pcs wheels are way over rated. i take monoblock with custom offset anyday.

ppl who track a LOT need service, not brand name bling.
some of the BIG companies, like fikse and BBS are not as great as you think they are. buy a set of E88, bend a few halves and see who you can call to fix it. bend a few fikses and how LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG it takes for them to fix the damn wheel. how do i know? i have multiple sets of all of these wheels.

another GREAT wheel maker who does their own forging is CCW, i am speaking of C10 and C14 in particular. these are not finely finished as those $5000/set wheels. but they are every bit as strong if not stronger. they are the ONLY wheel i have not yet bent driving on track.

Last edited by mooty; 01-07-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 AM
AE1867 is infamous around these parts
Bbs, hre, dpe.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone have a picture of the P41 on a GT3?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best forged wheel brands