Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HRE Customer Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Arnie1 has a spectacular aura aboutArnie1 has a spectacular aura about
OK , I never heard of a reverse lip wheel so I did not know there was a difference. So I did not know I had to ask this. As for the inner barrels I concourse my Porsches and have won many events so I know how to clean the inner barrels. There was no coating on the inner barrel just plain metal which corroded almost immediately. I use P21 wheel cleaning solution and that did not work even oil Flow did not work which can clean the coating off the bottom of cars during shipping. So what did I do . I did take steel wool and got rid of the corrosion and painted them with Wurth wheel paint. Low and behold no more issues the wheeks are easy to clean. So maybe my wheels were defective from the beginning sorry I could not tell so beat me up over this. When I called HRE right away they did nothing for me other than give me those useless water displacement wings. Well from other people I can see that wheels were replaced, repaired etc but I was never givien that offer. Even if he had offered me 75% rebate I would have taken that. So I did not get great customer service like the others got.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Nine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud of
Arnie, this sounds more like a case of you being a rookie wheel buyer. Doesn't sound like a quality issue at all, since all multi-piece wheels utilize the same reverse-lip construction and same 6061 aluminum. Having the inner wheels coated, chromed, or painted is an upgrade. HRE even does this, if you ask for it and pay for it. I don't see how they are to blame here, for building exactly what you ordered. Customer service does not always mean the customer is correct, or the customer deserves a refund/rebate/discount. You bought wheels the way you ordered them, they delivered them the way you ordered them.

Chalk this one up as a learning experience. Don't form a grudge about a brand that didn't do anything wrong. Be sure to ask more questions up front next time, on forums such as this. A simple thread asking about how to make custom wheels low maintenance when ordering would have solved this issue beforehand.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Sorry I disagree. What is the purpose of a set of wheels that you can not drive in the rain. They are not TUV approved. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a company would sell a wheel that you can not drive in the rain. Please tell me the purpose of spending $4500 on a set you can not use. I have bought many sets of wheels in my 40 years of driving and never would suspect that a reputable company or any company would sell a wheel that is inherently dangerous. That is why they can not be sold in Germany and not TUV approved. There should be a warning label on the wheels stating not for road use. I am done discussing this topic. Reverse lip wheels look good but they should be mounted on a Yugo since they are useless like that car.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Nine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud of
You live in New Jersey, according to your profile. I don't think what Germans approve has anything to do with the United States. Your replies make you sound very naive about wheels, so your "40 years of driving" doesn't really prove anything here.

Every single reverse lip wheel on the market (there are literally thousands of them), regardless of brand, has the same construction layout. In HARD rain, it is possible for the water to pool inside the hoop, causing them to be out of balance temporarily. It really has to be hard rain though, like raining sideways into your spokes for a long time. I've only experienced the rain wobble twice in my 20 years of driving. I've owned dozens of reverse lip wheels, and it rains quite a bit in Houston. How do you fix the situation when it occurs? Simple, drive slower. The water will work itself out as you drive.

Over-exaggerate much? We are trying to educate you here about wheel construction, and to inform you this isn't a brand issue. You can blame HRE all you want, but the fact is that you should blame your dealer or yourself for not asking or doing diligent research on buying wheels. Being naive or uninformed always costs someone money, welcome to that club.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
M3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Arnie1
Sorry I disagree. What is the purpose of a set of wheels that you can not drive in the rain. They are not TUV approved. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a company would sell a wheel that you can not drive in the rain. Please tell me the purpose of spending $4500 on a set you can not use. I have bought many sets of wheels in my 40 years of driving and never would suspect that a reputable company or any company would sell a wheel that is inherently dangerous. That is why they can not be sold in Germany and not TUV approved. There should be a warning label on the wheels stating not for road use. I am done discussing this topic. Reverse lip wheels look good but they should be mounted on a Yugo since they are useless like that car.
I'm sorry but i have to agree with Arnie all the way..I bought a set of HRE 449R for my BMW M3 that were barely the same price but i almost paid the price of an extra wheel with the shipping and the taxes to get it over here (France). HRE or at least the vendor should have warned me about this rain issue. It was impossible to go faster than 110 Km/h and when you have a trip back from the Nurburgring which is 500 kms from home, yes you do expect and need to drive faster than that on the highway to go home.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You live in New Jersey, according to your profile. I don't think what Germans approve has anything to do with the United States. Your replies make you sound very naive about wheels, so your "40 years of driving" doesn't really prove anything here.

Every single reverse lip wheel on the market (there are literally thousands of them), regardless of brand, has the same construction layout. In HARD rain, it is possible for the water to pool inside the hoop, causing them to be out of balance temporarily. It really has to be hard rain though, like raining sideways into your spokes for a long time. I've only experienced the rain wobble twice in my 20 years of driving. I've owned dozens of reverse lip wheels, and it rains quite a bit in Houston. How do you fix the situation when it occurs? Simple, drive slower. The water will work itself out as you drive.

Over-exaggerate much? We are trying to educate you here about wheel construction, and to inform you this isn't a brand issue. You can blame HRE all you want, but the fact is that you should blame your dealer or yourself for not asking or doing diligent research on buying wheels. Being naive or uninformed always costs someone money, welcome to that club.
sorry but the problem occurs under "Medium" rain and does not come out by itself. the car has to be stopped for a few seconds. then it comes out slowly. i had to stop every 30 mins to let the rain out even had to help it out with a sponge.. it was ridiculous for a wheel with that price range. maybe i didnt made enough research about the wheel.. but at least there should have been a disclaimer or a sticker with a " not water proof" logo on it. . sold rims and i warned the buyer about the matter..now i'm looking at rims here and there for the GT3, i REALLY really love the P40 look but i not 100% sure after what happened what might show up next

Last edited by M3lelena; 01-15-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Exactly. Medium rain causes the problem. Obviously it matters that they are not approved in Germany. Because they are not safe at high speed and Germany has the toughest car standards in the world regarding car equipment. Please answer the question why would you make a wheel that you can not drive in the rain on a highway at 65 mph when trucks are doing 75 all around you. You are right I knew nothing about reverse lip wheels but that is not the issue here.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by M3lelena
i REALLY really love the P40 look but i not 100% sure after what happened what might show up next
P40 is a 1-piece billet wheel, does not have the reverse lip construction. I have that wheel on my Viper, they do not hold water on the inner barrel.

Arnie, I understand the problem. I agree that maybe reverse lip wheels of every brand should have a note about water possibly throwing them off balance temporarily. But, someone above started this thread to praise HRE as a company. Your complaint is about wheel construction design, not a brand name. I'm just saying that ALL brands have the same issue here, it isn't a specific company like HRE. So, why come in here and bad mouth a company just because of your own lack of experience in the subject? That is my only point here.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok Sorry I understand. One point it is not a temp unbalance it is continous it gets so bad you feel the car is coming apart. The reason I hijacked the thread was all the glowing comments about HRE how wheels were replaced etc. They did nothing for me except send me useless metal fins that I had to install under the bolts which rasied the speed before my car comes apart by 3mph.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM
BADZOH6 is infamous around these parts
They did not help me after there mess up! I am glad to see they can help some people

Arnie1, I feel your pain!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Aboy.GT2
Hey Dean,

My experiences with HRE customer service have been nothing short of excellent or better. They stand behind their product and go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied. I purchased a set of the CF40's for my GT2 but when mounted to the car the front offset wasn't quite where it should be. They have them right now and are rebuilding new centers to the correct specs. They even picked up the tab for shipping. 100% top notch operation.

Just curious, what was the cause of the noises you were hearing? I have a set of C90's and also have the Brembo rotors with the stock PCCB calipers. My rotors are the floating ones and I get clicking and clacking from the rotors. Did they ever tell you what the issue was with the wheels?
Its not the rotors. C- series HRE wheels click and clack in some cases. Brembo is built proof with no noise coming from there hardware. Change your wheels back to stock and your clicking and clacking will stop.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
HRE_Chris is infamous around these parts
Issue

Hi Arnie,

This is Chris with HRE. Please PM me so we can discuss your issue. I believe we can help. Thank you.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Just to be fair Chris of HRE called me and wants to make things right. They now have a fix which they plan to use on my wheels. I will be sending the wheels to HRE for the fix. So I am happy that HRE wants to do the right thing. I will keep everyone posted as to progress and the success of the repair. The power of this forum is amazing.

Arnie

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Cavallino is infamous around these parts
Great story, and very good to know being a fellow HRE owner and enthusiast.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm looking to trade my black&gray center caps for red&blue centercaps. Anyone interested?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Thats good to hear they stand behind their product, and they're handling the situation in the appropriate manner. I'm sorry for what you went through, I've had the same thing happen with a different wheel manufacturer and it's scary.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
it is good to know that there are companies that stand behind their product, like HRE.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE Customer Service