Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged vs low pressure cast wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Forged vs low pressure cast wheels

Of course forged are better, and if you are tracking heavily they are a must, IMO.

However what about a car (namely my 600 hp M3) that will only see a road course once or twice...it will see some hard driving on some S turns when traffic is low in Mexico. These turns push the car to about 85% on good street tires. Car has also seen and will see again 160 mph.

It seems that the forged are the way to go, but the Mod bargain low pressure cast wheels are stunningly beautiful and less than one forth the cost of the Cor precises' I have been eying.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
The COR's:
F1-Precise

Old 09-30-2010, 02:53 PM
The Avant Gardes from Mod Bargains:

Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
The Avant gardes are really amazing for the price:http://www.modbargains.com/Avant-Gar...els-Porche.htm

Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If I was getting cast wheels I would go with a known brand like the OEM wheels made by BBS or the OZ cast wheels. I would stay away from a unknown unproven brand for a Porsche that will be pushed.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
You keep posting pics of your wheel in my threads but you don't give me any info about how they are made, if they will fit my E46 M3 with big Brembo brakes, and the price.

Please advise.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Deepcove Frog is infamous around these parts
I was opting HRE and OZ,asked quite few friends,most of them go with HRE,forged.I think it's just like buying a watch, a choice between Casio and Rolex, or Rolex and Petak Phillips, you get what u pay for,this is one true thing.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
trisgale is infamous around these parts
So what do you "get what you pay for" by choosing HRE over OZ?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I just got the OZ Aleggeritta's and they are beautiful. The 18X8.5's are 18 lbs and the 18X10's are 20 lbs. Not bad for a cast wheel.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, the most important questions have not been asked.

1. What standards are the wheels built and tested to? What is the load rating?
2. Is the test data available to a prospective purchaser?
3. Where are the wheels manufactured? Does the manufacturing company have any assets in the USA?
4. What quality system is used in manufacturing?
5. Does the manufacturer/distributor have product liability insurance? (If you are killed because your wheel disintegrates at 160 MPH, your family will care about this.)
6. Who is the wheel program's chief engineer and what are his/her credentials?
7. Does the wheel company even have an engineer or are they just a slick marketing company selling wheels made far away by someone they hardly know.

It is my opinion that 70% of the wheels sold in this country have never been tested by anyone. Now, if you're just cruising your Escalade downtown, hey no big deal. But if you plan on doing something serious at, say 160 mph, you might want to ask some questions first.

Caveat Emptor!

Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I just installed a set of Forgestar F14's on my DD.

The fit and finish is excellent, they are light weight, and the ratings and test data are excellent.

Check them out. http://www.forgestar.com/v1/home.php

Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
If I was getting cast wheels I would go with a known brand like the OEM wheels made by BBS or the OZ cast wheels. I would stay away from a unknown unproven brand for a Porsche that will be pushed.
Cast wheels are fine for street use but like the guy above says, if I was pushing a Porsche hard on a track, i'd go with cast that have a history. TSW, Enkei, they have been around a long time and have been used on racers.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor
COR Forged is a glorious beacon of lightCOR Forged is a glorious beacon of lightCOR Forged is a glorious beacon of lightCOR Forged is a glorious beacon of lightCOR Forged is a glorious beacon of lightCOR Forged is a glorious beacon of light
Going back to the original question for a moment, LP cast versus forged is really not the question. Cast, regardless of counter pressure, low pressure, or gravity still involves a mold and the introduction of molten aluminum. The forged aluminum product will have less porosity, a more uniform grain structure, and ultimately offer more strength per pound of material.

O.P......PM sent