Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to stack wheels up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
OK to stack wheels up?

I keep a few sets of wheels around, separate sets for summer, winter and track. (I drive the car daily all year round in the nation's capital.)

When I store the wheels, is it ok to stack them up vertically in a nice tower? Or is that a bad idea for some reason? Could the weight on the bottom wheel cause it to warp in the several months (or longer) when it is not on the car?

Thanks for any input.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I assume you mean wheels and tires. The standard is to store them sitting on their treads, not stacked vertically. Yes, it could cause issues in the wheel at the bottom of the stack according to conventional lore. However, I've never actually heard of any issues from storing wheels and tires this way.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I do mean the wheels with the tires still mounted on them.

I suppose it depends on how heavy the wheels are and how hard the wheel is. My OEM turbo wheels are relatively strong and light, so I think there might be less risk to the weight on the bottom wheel there. The black lobsters (as in my avatar) are heavier and not as strong, so maybe they would be more at risk from the weight - to the extent there really is a risk.

When I stack'em up, as I remember it, the PS2s at least are rubber on rubber as they have a bit of a lip on the sidewall that extends out past the metal wheel. I have MPSCs on the OEM turbo wheels. Those have pretty much a straight vertical sidewall. Not much overhang there, as I recall, but I think it is still rubber on rubber.

Last edited by CMOS; 12-13-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
You will be fine stacking them on top of each other. You might want to put cardboard between the rims so you don't have any metal on metal contact that might scratch the face of a rim with the backside of another. Some times those lips stick out pretty far past the actual rubber.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on your garage layout, there are several mounting racks available that can keep the tires/wheels upright and together, yet give you back some floor space.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor
Vossen Forged is infamous around these partsVossen Forged is infamous around these parts
Put a piece of cardboard in between

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
NickZag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Slik560
Depending on your garage layout, there are several mounting racks available that can keep the tires/wheels upright and together, yet give you back some floor space.
I'll 2nd that. tirerack.com has a very nice wall rack that I use. It looks sharp and it's cheap at $149