Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hankooks review.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porsche12901
Just put a set of Hankook V12's on my '07 and took off the worn Pirelli P Zero Rosso's. Discount Tire in Rock Hill, SC did the work. The Pirelli's were very worn and noisy as hell. I drove from Plattsburgh, NY to Rock Hill and couldn't listen to the radio due to the noise. Drove from Rock Hill to Charleston (185 miles) and couldn't believe the noise difference. So quite, I could keep the volume down low, make phone calls, and enjoyed the sound of the engine as I tooled down the highway. Today I drove to Edisto Beach (90 miles round trip) in the rain and was very happy again. Soooo quite. I did notice they do take a bit longer to hit 52 degrees in the back.

I'm headed out again tomorrow and will then drive back home to Plattsburgh via Atlanta and the Blue Ridge Parkway for another 1,475 miles. I guess they should be good and broken in by then.

Right now I very happy since my pocket has lots of extra cash and I can listen to the radio, make calls... Will have to see how they handle on the Parkway. As for highway driving, these are such an improvement. I don't do any track driving, just go around town, hit country roads and cruise on the highway.

I'll report back in a bit to let you know how the rest of the trip goes.
I would believe it- The factory Pirelli tires SUCK in all respects, at least that is my experience with them. And they only get suck-i-er as they wear down. I hope the V12's continue to do you right.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Just put a set of Hankook V12's on my '07 and took off the worn Pirelli P Zero Rosso's. Discount Tire in Rock Hill, SC did the work. The Pirelli's were very worn and noisy as hell. I drove from Plattsburgh, NY to Rock Hill and couldn't listen to the radio due to the noise. Drove from Rock Hill to Charleston (185 miles) and couldn't believe the noise difference. So quite, I could keep the volume down low, make phone calls, and enjoyed the sound of the engine as I tooled down the highway. Today I drove to Edisto Beach (90 miles round trip) in the rain and was very happy again. Soooo quite. I did notice they do take a bit longer to hit 52 degrees in the back.

I'm headed out again tomorrow and will then drive back home to Plattsburgh via Atlanta and the Blue Ridge Parkway for another 1,475 miles. I guess they should be good and broken in by then.

Right now I very happy since my pocket has lots of extra cash and I can listen to the radio, make calls... Will have to see how they handle on the Parkway. As for highway driving, these are such an improvement. I don't do any track driving, just go around town, hit country roads and cruise on the highway.

I'll report back in a bit to let you know how the rest of the trip goes.
Let us know how the tires due after your road trip. Hope they work out for ya

Old 05-07-2011, 01:50 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
I have the conti dw in 325 25 20 and 245 30 20 They are definately a harder tire than the p zeros I had . And the Factory ps2 is a way better tire . If you are buying tires for normaly daily driving I still trust the Continental dw more than Hancook but for the price both are great tires.
The invo is definately better than the conti and Hancook . Hopefull y they will have my size soon .
i got 20 x12 On the rear

Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porsche12901
I did notice they do take a bit longer to hit 52 degrees in the back.
?? not sure i understand ..

Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PORSCHEAUDIO
I have the conti dw in 325 25 20 and 245 30 20 They are definately a harder tire than the p zeros I had . And the Factory ps2 is a way better tire . If you are buying tires for normaly daily driving I still trust the Continental dw more than Hancook but for the price both are great tires.
The invo is definately better than the conti and Hancook . Hopefull y they will have my size soon .
i got 20 x12 On the rear
You like the Invo? I thought it was the worst tire I have ever tried.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
?? not sure i understand ..
i think he's referring to the tires' PSI once the tires heat up

Old 05-08-2011, 12:46 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
i think he's referring to the tires' PSI once the tires heat up
isn't 52 psi slightly high ?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:40 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
isn't 52 psi slightly high ?
cold setting for rears is 44. i get into the mid 50s under track conditions. i defer to the more seasoned guys whether that is problematic or not.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
cold setting for rears is 44. i get into the mid 50s under track conditions. i defer to the more seasoned guys whether that is problematic or not.
but even under regular spirited driving, my tires (set @44psi) rarely exceed 48 psi.. never seen it 52...

and on the track, i thought it was advisable to deflate the tires slightly for better traction..

perhaps the Hankooks need the higher psi to be stable ?

at the end of my other thread, i started to ask people to record the psi and the problems associated. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...x-ps2-v12.html

Old 05-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
My conti sport contacts wore out and I considered the V12. Sounds like I made the right choice. I went with Kumho Ecsta XS in 235/40/18 f and 315/30/18 r. Night and day difference from the Continentals. Much improved cornering stability with teh stiffer sidewall and overall incredible traction for a set of tires that cost less than $1000. Those considering a change, I highly recommend them.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Nikolas
My conti sport contacts wore out and I considered the V12. Sounds like I made the right choice. I went with Kumho Ecsta XS in 235/40/18 f and 315/30/18 r. Night and day difference from the Continentals. Much improved cornering stability with teh stiffer sidewall and overall incredible traction for a set of tires that cost less than $1000. Those considering a change, I highly recommend them.
I'm debating between the XS and V12 as we speak. It may come down to what size I choose for the rears (315 or 295) due to availability. Would be interested in heaing more about the XS -- especially any comparisons to the PS2 (other than price ).

Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I'm debating between the XS and V12 as we speak. It may come down to what size I choose for the rears (315 or 295) due to availability. Would be interested in heaing more about the XS -- especially any comparisons to the PS2 (other than price ).
From what I've been hearing, the V12's tend to pull around a lot on freeway lines / grooves. I would totally hate that. I never run anything but PS on my 997, the fronts last forever and I only need to change rears every 1.5 to 2 years, and it is not hard to find an almost new set of rear take-offs at half the price of new. My CTT is fine for Kumho / Hankook tires. The 996/997 deserves good shoes, and from what I've found nothing else compares to the PS tires in terms of performance, safety and ride quality. When I'm ripping it up in the 911, I don't even want to remotely think about tire quality. Plus, every long freeway drive just re-affirms my decision to spend the extra $.

Tires and suspension are (JMHO) two areas of the 911 that cannot be met adequately with budget choices. Again, JMHO, YMMV and all...

Last edited by p0rsch3; 05-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
From what I've been hearing, the V12's tend to pull around a lot on freeway lines / grooves. I would totally hate that. I never run anything but PS on my 997, the fronts last forever and I only need to change rears every 1.5 to 2 years, and it is not hard to find an almost new set of rear take-offs at half the price of new. My CTT is fine for Kumho / Hankook tires. The 996/997 deserves good shoes, and from what I've found nothing else compares to the PS tires in terms of performance, safety and ride quality. When I'm ripping it up in the 911, I don't even want to remotely think about tire quality. Plus, every long freeway drive just re-affirms my decision to spend the extra $.

Tires and suspension are (JMHO) two areas of the 911 that cannot be met adequately with budget choices. Again, JMHO, YMMV and all...
If you live in a dry summer climate, the XS will perform very well. They apparently are not the greatest in the wet though. C&D just recently did a test and the Kumho XS beat all the competiion in the dry performance test including the PS2. They faired poorly in the wet test, which really was not that important to me. We basically get minimal rain in May and nothing between June and September.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by p0rsch3

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been running PS2s excessively for many years -- first with my M Roadster, and now with the 996TT. I've had no issues at all with them, but am always open to other possibilities. Especially on a second (or third) set of wheels.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
but even under regular spirited driving, my tires (set @44psi) rarely exceed 48 psi.. never seen it 52...

and on the track, i thought it was advisable to deflate the tires slightly for better traction..

perhaps the Hankooks need the higher psi to be stable ?

at the end of my other thread, i started to ask people to record the psi and the problems associated. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...x-ps2-v12.html
Spirited driving will never come close to the heat build-up you will see on a track. Between sessions you should always check your pressure as you can easily see 10 psi increases on a hot day. I used to have an infra red temp gun which was handy. You can measure the temp along the tire - outside/middle/inside. This helped with pressure adjustments.