Sponsored by:

M+S or Blizzacks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
M+S or Blizzacks?

So Im thinking of buying my friends 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon as a car to go snowboarding etc... The car needs new tires though, so Im trying to figure out if I should get all-season M+S tires or snow tires like blizzack LM-22 which can handle higher speeds etc.

Here is my planned usage:
I live in san francisco (no snow), and might use the car for other stuff like shopping, and parking when I goto neighborhoods I don't want to park the C4S. It takes about 3 hours to drive to Lake Tahoe for snow, and most of the drive would be on dry or wet (rain) pavement. The roads are regularly plowed in tahoe so it shouldn't see a ton of snow, but winter weather in the mountains is unpredictable and getting caught in a snow storm or two during the season is a definitely a possibility.

So I'm trying to decide if i should get something like the blizzacks and just deal with the wear they will get in the city (and crappy handling) or should I just get a good all-season M+S tire since it will probably be driven in non-snowy conditions at lot.

I know wheels are cheap for Subys, I could easily get some beater 16's for snow tires and switch em out all the time, but I have nowhere to store them in my loft and its a pain in the *** (we used to do that with our audi). So Im trying to avoid that.

thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:29 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a good all season will work OK, as long as you are willing to give up a little ultimate snow grip. An H or V rated snow tire will wear faster but provide the best grip in the hills. Whatever you decide will be a sacrifice, you just have to decide where you want the emphasis to be placed.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss it furthur.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Just order some dedicated snows from Damon, with the wheels they offer.
Pop them in during winter.. I do go to tahoe quite a bit though

Old 08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
kem
Thanks Damon, I was sort of thinking an all season might be better for my use, until I find room for dedicated snow wheels.

Has there ever been a comparison test done of snow traction of all season tires? What would you recommend as far as manufacturer/type?

thanks

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Sounds like a good all season will work OK, as long as you are willing to give up a little ultimate snow grip. An H or V rated snow tire will wear faster but provide the best grip in the hills. Whatever you decide will be a sacrifice, you just have to decide where you want the emphasis to be placed.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss it furthur.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:24 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S will be your best bet in the sizing you will need. But the rears will have to be 285/30. There really isn't anything else available. One other thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to run snow tires, you pretty much HAVE to put them on their own set of wheels because there isn't a snow tire made that will fit on an 11" wheel. A 265 on a 10" is the best you will do.

Or use this link:
Old 08-11-2006, 07:06 PM
kem
this is for a WRX, not my C4S. snow car.

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S will be your best bet in the sizing you will need. But the rears will have to be 285/30. There really isn't anything else available. One other thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to run snow tires, you pretty much HAVE to put them on their own set of wheels because there isn't a snow tire made that will fit on an 11" wheel. A 265 on a 10" is the best you will do.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Uh...........Oh Yeah...........I knew that.

Sorry bout that!

Or use this link:
Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Geoff is infamous around these partsGeoff is infamous around these parts
i'm not sure how bad the lm's are , but i have ws-50's on my vw gti for the winter and they are pretty soft and wear like crazy!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 PM
GT3Scott is infamous around these partsGT3Scott is infamous around these parts
Just put some Blizzacks (from Tire Rack of course) on my extra set of 17" wheels for our 02 C4 Cab so when the snow falls, the Carrera can continue to roll!

These are the wheels in the photo -- but this was last year when it still had summer tires on the 17"ers (I now have dedicated 18" wheels with summer tires and these 17" have the Blizzacks).